I saw this list of questions recently (unsure of the source) and I think they’re excellent questions to ask of an interviewer when you’re applying for a job. So many candidates are seemingly only interested in ANY job at X amount of money when they should be interested in THE job that is right for them (in more ways than the financials alone).
Furthermore, if you’re the interviewer and you’re asked these questions then you know you have a good candidate in front of you. How many times are these questions asked? I’d put money on it that it’s not often.
- Who would make the ideal candidate for this position?
- How will the work I’ll be doing contribute to the organization’s mission?
- What were the best things about the last person who held this position?
- What are three ways I can contribute to the company beyond the job description?
- How can I best contribute to the department’s goals?
- How do you see me best contributing to the corporate culture and morale?
- What do you see as the biggest challenges of working here and how can I overcome those challenges?
- What is your vision for where the company or department will be in one year? In 3-5 years?
- How can I best help you and the team succeed?